Saturday, December 18, 2010

Bacon Beta

My first pork belly -> bacon attempt:

The pork belly spent it's first week curing in a basic dry-cure mix of salt sugar and pink salt.





The salts have pulled a few cups of pork water out.

After a week of this, pull it out of the container and rinse it all off.

I started to cut the skin off, I probably could have waited to do this, it might of have been easier.



The rosemary/xmas tree my wife bought died, so I decided to recycle it.



I used the dried rosemary pines and fresh cracked pepper to rub into the meat



Then I made a rigged indirect "smoker" with the rosemary branches



This thing is kinda embarrassing, and totally justifies all of you chipping in and getting me a proper smoker for my birthday.



Then wait until the internal temp hits 150dgF, so wait, this will take at least an hour


You'll get this - which I think is a little over cooked. This white is sweated out salt



Profile pic



After some frying



Sliced & bagged



All in all very good, different than the bogo bacon from acme. Still a little saltier than I would like, and next time either done in a proper smoker or not at all.





Zero Waste Policy



I threw the skins next to the bacon in the smoker and then finished on the griddle. They'll make great dot treats

No comments:

Post a Comment